SERVICES & FOCUS AREAS
We provide the following professional development and consulting services linked to our focal areas.
Our work in strengthening governance focuses on the following:
- Strategy, Policy & Legislation:Our expertise includes research and comparative analyses, collaborative development of national vision and sector strategy, facilitating inclusive stakeholder consultation, and drafting of policy, laws and regulations. These are based on consensus reached by consultation with government, private sector and civil society, to ensure expectations are aligned.
- Sub-National Governance:We focus on building effective, transparent and accountable sub-national governance structures as a critical facet of public administration. Our expertise includes creating sub-national executive capacity, developing structures, policies and processes, strengthening capacity, building networks & common systems across sub-national jurisdictions and ministries, and facilitating communication between government and citizens.
- Institutional Strengthening:Our offerings include review of institutional frameworks and mandates, capacity building programmes, development of internal processes, and assessing and developing organisational capacity to match new organisations.
ACCORD is already engaged in substantial peace building work. However, ADC’s Security & Stability team brings additional technical capacity to develop policing and security infrastructure and oversight. This is critical in order to reduce conflict, improve governance, enhance political stability and strengthen economic development.
Our expertise and experience includes:
- National Security Governance:Developing national security architecture, security policies, strategies and legislative oversight, facilitating responsiveness to civil society and communities; and facilitating processes for demobilisation and reintegration.
- Policing Governance & Transformation:We assist with culture development & transformation in the police service, developing community policing, and developing accountability and oversight mechanisms.
- National reconciliation processes:We assist with facilitation, public debate and adoption, conceptualisation & planning, implementation and management of the process.
Women and girls face barriers and disadvantages in every sector, and in the entire developing world. Putting women and girls on equal footing with men and boys in terms of opportunities and rights, has the power to transform every society.
We provide technical support for programmes that:
- Enhance women’s participation in political and peace processes
- Advance the role of women in all sectors of the state
- Reduce women’s economic vulnerability and poverty
- Provide social protection to women and girls
By protecting the basic rights of citizens, societies prevent conflict, stimulate economic growth and give people dignity. We provide technical support for development work that focuses on strengthening and promoting human rights, enhancing accountable and transparent governance, and an independent and politically active civil society.
Our expertise includes:
- Empowering democratic activities and institutions
- Supporting free and fair elections
- Developing a free media
- Supporting conflict management and the rule of law processes
We support governments in designing comprehensive communication strategies to ensure broad engagement with civil society. This is especially essential in times of transition, to ensure that understanding is increased and the risks of social unrest and conflict are mitigated.
Our expertise covers:
- Consensus building and consultation workshops
- Obtaining & implementing participative community development agreements
- Developing and implementing specific communications strategies and action plans
- Developing community engagement guidelines
- Developing and implementing social and transformation policy
We work with government agencies, civil society, and private sector to improve the health of communities, especially those that are vulnerable and have limited access. When the interactions among the citizens, health service providers and government function well, we generally find improved access and utilization of health services.
Our expertise covers:
- Strategy: A sustainable approach to healthcare requires solutions that anticipate future needs and enables long-term development for both public and private sector providers.
- Community Involvement: Managing community involvement in decisions about health activities through community structures for joint planning, implementation and monitoring of health services.
- Training and technical assistance to local governments to manage investment plans, development strategies and budgets in accordance with country health priorities, and to comply with governance and financial reporting requirements.
We work to develop and support the reforms of education systems in transitional and developing countries. Economic growth and the spread of democracy are supported by education, and in turn also create demand for access to high quality and effective teaching.
We work to support:
- Affordable private education: We work to develop both low-cost private schooling and state-funded education with the express aim of improving both the access to and quality of education
- Strategy and Policy: We support development of strategy and policy on the development of different levels of education (primary, secondary, tertiary and vocational), on how education should be funded, and on the allocation of this funding to different levels of education
- Institutional Development: We work to improve the functioning of the education ministries to ensure that they are more effective and efficient in decision making, the management of human resources, and use of its budget.
In transitional and developing countries food security – i.e. access to healthy food and optimal nutrition for all – remains a challenge. Food access is closely linked to the production, processing, distribution, and marketing of food.
We work to support:
- Development of agriculture and trade policy, and improvement of the value chain
- Improving productivity, processing, and delivery systems, especially for vulnerable communities
- Institutional support: development and strengthening of farming associations, and improving access to market information systems
We work with governments and civil society to address both the causes and effects of climate change. The challenge lies in incentivising all stakeholders to respond pro-actively to climate change, and in realising economic growth while ensuring a greener future.
Our work includes:
- Helping governments to create regulatory frameworks and business environments which promote and incentivise long-term climate investment.
- Improving policy and planning for climate change, enabling access to climate finance, and developing communications around climate change activity and policy.
Our capability enables Cities to copy with rapid urbanisation. Careful planning is required to ensure that policies cater for infrastructure and investment.
Our services include:
- In-depth analyses to find the best ways to cope with influx into Cities.
- Improving policy and planning for modern Cities, enabling access to finance and sustainability.
- Project facilitation
By providing support to conflict resolution, we sustain peace through conflict resolution mechanisms.
Our services include:
- Creating Dispute Resolution Processes & mechanisms
- Mediation, Facilitation and Reconciliation
ACCORD Development Consulting (ADC)’s Elections Division area of work is in the conduct and management of corporate governance elections for office bearers of Trade Unions, Student Representative Councils (SRCs), Political Parties and Boards of Trustees of various institutions, including medical aid schemes and pension funds where elections of board of trustees are mandated by legislation.
ADC has a panel of experts with over 15 years of international experience who can conduct, monitor, observe and audit elections. The panel members have also done similar work for the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), African Union (AU), the East Africa Community (EAC) and the Intergovernmental Authority on Development (IGAD). The panel also conducts pre & post-election assessment missions in African countries on behalf of the African Union.
Our services include:
- Conduct Elections
- Business Process Management
- Monitor and Observe Elections
- Audit Elections
- Pre & Post Election Assessment Missions